Friday, July 3, 2009

The Swans of Galway Bay



I can't tell you how many swans are about the Galway area. You can basically see them any time you cross over a river. They tend to gather in the bay area along with pigeons, ducks and seagulls. They are beautiful sight. There is an Irish association that takes care of the swans. The swans are quite friendly. From what I gathered from a rather long conversation I had with an older Irishman at the bay, the Irish are very proud of their swans. He told me they live to be 100 years old. These swans are nicer than the ones I have seen in the US. They don't seem to bother the ducks or smaller birds about. It may be because they are so spoiled from getting scraps of food. When you approach they will cock their head at you to see if you have bread.




This is a sleeping swan. I've seen them nap on the rocky shore, but most of them nap on the water. They tuck their head and just go to sleep. The curious thing while they are napping they are floating about and bobbing on the water. I wonder how many wake up and think, "This isn't where I went to sleep!"


This is kind of an odd thing they tend to do. They rest on foot out of the water on their back. They don't just do this when they are cleaning themselves like this one, but any time they don't want to go super fast. So there will be several swans with their foots up in the air, paddling along with only one foot. Now if they think you have bread they will put both feet in the water and swim up to you super fast, but otherwise they take a more leisurely, one foot to life approach.



This swan had just woke up from an afternoon nap and was having a conversation with me.

Ever wonder what a swan sounds like?

No comments:

Post a Comment