Friday, July 24, 2009

Dingle Saturday and Sunday

I'm going to try to quickly catch up in my blog. Saturday and Sunday in Dingle can be summed up in one word RAIN! It was the worst storm I have experienced since being in Ireland. Normally, it rains, then the sun comes out, then it rains & repeat- for most of the day. This rain didn't stop. It rained all day Saturday and the wind at night was howling.

Unfortunately most of our bus tour went like this, "And over here on the right is (insert important name here) but you can't see it because of the fog and rain, so I'll just tell you about it." The roads were really super curvy. We were driving on the side of a mountain and could see the rocks below. It was supposedly a two way street but it wasn't working out very well for the RVs trying to pass our bus. There was also a stream that ran across the road. Later in the day that stream turned into a river and we couldn't pass there. Two of the bridges flooded out. We had to take an alternative route back to our hotel. We did stop off at one museum that talked about the people who used to live on a Peninsula and that was sorta cool. The best part about the museum is it was dry.


It wasn't the best trip over all. And to top it off, I got sick on the bus, had to make the driver pull over so I could throw up on the side of the road. You know you feel awful when you hop out into the wind and rain and think "This feels sooo much better than the bus!" I spent Saturday evening in the hotel room watching American shows on TV. That's pretty easy to do considering most of Irish TV is american shows. Well there are a fair amount of game shows too but I hate those. I watched a little bit of the Celtic Games too. If you ever get a chance to watch any you should. I know some people who actually went to a game in person and loved it. Between John giving me OTC drugs and Brenda bringing me crackers I recovered well. It was probably some 24 hour bug I picked up. I think its fairly easy to get sick at least once because you run yourself down touring all these different sites and the weather is rainy all the time. Being sick does have a way of making you especially homesick. Which kind of sucks.

My roommates saw Dingle the weekend before my group went- they had great weather and loved it. What I didn't see because no one got off the bus after awhile because of the weather was a beach, some cliffs, the peninsula, a sundial, a graveyard and quicksand (which one of my roommates had stepped in up to her knee on her trip).

Here's a few pictures of what I did see:

The Beehive hut. And let me tell you, those rocks keep the rain out. I actually hid in this one for a awhile to get out of the weather.


This is the walls for a larger stone house with several rooms. The hole in the ground was for drainage. The roof of this one has been gone for awhile. I hid in the doorway, crouched down listening to the tour guide to keep a little dry. This was the only place we got out of the bus. After this we decided it was too wet to get off again.


Wish it had been nice enough too go down to the beach. You really need to plan to be a couple days in any place you want to see just in case the weather sucks. Unfortunately this was only a weekend trip.


Some sheep near the ocean. You can't really see it here but many of the farmers mark there sheep with orange, red or blue paint so they know who it belongs to. Most of the sheep we saw on the Dingle tour were blue. Its kind of disturbing if you don't realize they paint the sheep. The first sheep I saw painted in Ireland were red and at first I thought someone had brutalized a whole flock.


No comments:

Post a Comment