Thursday, June 25, 2009

Wednesday Galway Shopping

So today I got lost on the way to class. So I was a wee bit late for Irish History. The guy next to me was falling asleep though, so it could have been worse. I so don’t blame him jet lag sucks. After class I took a two hour nap, which was lovely.


Then I went to the school bookstore. It is really tiny compared to VCU or GMU bookstore. They ran out of two of the books I need for my Irish lit class but hopefully they will have more in on Monday. This Saturday is my Lit Field trip to County Clare and South Galway.


I watched the Quiet Man in the theater today. First time I ever saw it. It was cute and kinda quirky.

After that I went into town to look for a belt and a watch. I discovered Galway bay- GORGEOUS. There was a little sail boat too, so of course I thought about Robin. For those who don’t know Robin really wants to buy a sailboat. Anyway, it was lovely. Nice coastal breeze. I found the Galway Museum. I’ll have to go back when it is actually open.


It always bothers me in America when I go to an Irish restaurant and there are things like cheeseburgers on the menu. Being in Ireland, isn’t much different from that. Every pub I have been to (which isn’t many at this point) has burgers and plays American music. There is a taco restaurant, American fast food restaurants, and Asian restaurants.


There is an awful lot of American music here. Seems most of the radio stations play what you would hear in the states and most of the stores play American music too. I walked into a Music store that was playing Irish music on the outside, had a big sign that said “Traditional Irish Music Sold Here!”, had a wall of Irish music artists, Irish films and Irish T-Shirts and inside the store they were playing American music!!! Very strange.


I was hit on by an Irish guy today. I was asked out for a bit of pint. Tee hee. His name was Conner. Seems he had lost his shirt in the river, quite literally. He showed me the way into town and no, I didn’t go out for a pint. I did tell him I had a very wonderful man waiting for me in the states. Conner wasn’t the most elegant of sorts because his opening line to me was “Are you the American girl I saw yesterday in the really short skirt?” Ah, no, haven’t worn a skirt here. Not the best opening line. In truth I think he did think I was some other girl he had talked to a few days ago.


When I was in town I turned into an alley to look in a store window and discovered it was not an alley- but a mall! A two story mall! I’ll post pictures, its one of those things you have to see to believe. In America you just can’t accidentally walk into a mall and not know it.

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, give my mom your email address so I can get it and email you directly.

    Hope you are having a blast. I tried to call you but you are in my caller Id.. that is where I get your phone number all the time.. and that display is broken on my phone!

    Email my mom your number and email again please! I want to talk to you!

    Talk to you real soon,
    Rani

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize that this was going to be shown to anyone that reads your blog! Augh! Sorry! New to the bogging scene man!

    ReplyDelete