Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Cliffs of Moher






They were beautiful, just breath-taking. It wasn’t raining when I went out there either.



There is a castle up on the hill.



I paid two euros to go to the top. It also had a scary stair case but it wasn’t as high up as Thoor Ballylee. The staircase was made of metal and a very tightly wrapped circular. The wind at the top of the castle was fantastic. I have a great photo of my hair just everywhere. If I was a goddess, I'd walk around all the time with my hair flying all about me in an angry sort of way (like this!), and I magically wouldn't have any knots. It was a pain combing my hair after I got home, but worth it. The wind was lots of fun!



I have a nifty story associated with the Cliffs of Moher but I will only tell it once I get back to the States. HA! Its something I just have to tell in person.



I saw this at the start the trip. I really think things like don't fall off the cliff shouldn't need to be said... but then I saw the tourists.

My host family says 2 or 3 people die every year the cliffs. Watching people lean over the edge with heels on… well I can understand why there is a sign. There was one man, that both myself and my GMU Faculty Director, Tom, both hurried by because we didn’t want to witness his fall. As far as we know he didn’t actually topple over, but it really looked like he was trying to.

There is a restaurant and gift shop built into the side of a cliff. It reminded me of stories about dwarfs building their homes inside of mountains. My host family said there was a big controversy over whether or not to allow the building of the shops and restaurant or to leave the land untouched. Honestly you can barely tell they are there, since they are built inside the hill. I think it added something instead of taking away.


And yes there were cattle. Cattle are everywhere in Ireland. I managed to actually cluck a black and white cow over to me. He nuzzled my hand twice but tossed his head in displeasure since I had no food for him. Tom convinced him to eat a bit of grass from him but apparently the grass I plucked wasn’t tasty enough. But I was the only one who got cow nuzzles!

Oh I almost forgot the best part. I ate at the restaurant afterwards with the GMU group that went and the server asked me what I wanted to eat in Gaelic. Now, he asked everyone else what they wanted in English. I assuming I just didn’t understand the accent at first asked “What” and he repeated, in Gaelic, we did this two more times to each other before I looked at Tom for help. Tom explained that he wanted my order, and then we both had a Ah-HA moment and he switched back into English for me. But hey, I’m just that Irish that I look like I know Gaelic. Too bad I don’t. Tom surmised that it might have also been what I was wearing a traditional Aran sweater and no rain coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment